ITP does not discrimate when it strikes its next victim. It affects the young and old, rich and poor all over the world. Dealing with this blood disorder is no easy task. The fear and frustration of not knowing where the roller coaster will take us next can be daunting.

This blog is for ITPers to express thoughts, feelings and lessons learned during their ride. Send your post to greta799@yahoo.com. We want to hear from you.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

An Ode to Platelets

 Frances Ryan has a blog where she shares her thoughts on dealing with ITP along with other interesting stuff.

She has graciously offered to share her previously published ITP posts with us.

Frances' blog is named Just Frances and can be found at http://www.justfrances.com/

Here is her piece, "An Ode to my Platelets".....




Once again, I’ve found myself with a lower-than-ideal platelet count. Well, it was very low last week (13!) and I had them re-tested today. Hopefully when the results come in later this week, they’ll be better. In the mean time, I have been referred to a haematologist again. Not that they can fix me, as this silly little condition seems to be sticking around.

But it got me thinking about my poor little platelets and how much I love them. I mean, first of all, my bone marrow is a bit stingy with its output of the little guys. So they’ve already started out life at a disadvantage for their required job. And if that’s not bad enough, my immune system bullies them to death. Literally.

So when you hear me complain about a low count, it’s not the platelets I’m angry with—no, they’re fighting the good fight and they’re doing it with a super-small army and are up against the rest of my body. I love those little guys. They’re my friends. And so I’ve decided to write them a poem. (I hope my prose isn’t so bad that they in turn commit suicide!)

An ode to my platelets
by Just Frances

Oh platelets, my platelets
You circulate with grace
You plug, you clot, you scab
You are constantly under attack
By my over zealot immune system
But you fight to help spare my life

Oh platelets, my platelets
How I love you so
You are few in numbers
But still you rush
To fix my cuts and scrapes
Your dedication means the world to me

No comments:

Post a Comment