ITP does not discrimate when it strikes its next victim. It affects the young and old, rich and poor all over the world. Dealing with this blood disorder is no easy task. The fear and frustration of not knowing where the roller coaster will take us next can be daunting.

This blog is for ITPers to express thoughts, feelings and lessons learned during their ride. Send your post to greta799@yahoo.com. We want to hear from you.

Thursday, May 3, 2012


Celi De La Torre 
They say that everything happens for a reason. ITP is certainly a curse. It has made my life a living hell. I've had days where I can't even get out of bed, days where I thought I was going to die, and days where all I could do was cry.

But you know what? In a wierd, twisted way, ITP has also been a blessing. It has forced me to slow down and prioritize my life; to look at what is truly important. I have developed a greater appreciation for family and those I love (including you all of course). I take the time to enjoy the little things like I never did before, like my children's laughter, their smiles, their hugs. Joe's love for me, even when I'm at my worst. My parents for supporting me, even when they drive me crazy.

It's made me realize that I need to make MYSELF a priority! Being a single mom for so long, I'd almost forgotten that there was a "me" to take care of too! I've begun eating better again (did wonders the first time around for my energy levels). I let myself dance (okay...so it's mostly in my head so far...but not for long I hope!). I'm rediscovering who I really am!

So, yes, in many ways ITP sucks. Just remember, even on your worst days, sometimes blessings can come in disguises, maybe even in the disguise of a curse called ITP!

Aloha and hugs to you all!



3 comments:

  1. I agree Celi that ITP has also made me re-evaluate my life and what is really important. I suppose it has given me a major shock and prompted me to focus more on the really important things in life. I certainly value the simple things in life more now and try not to plan too far in advance or get concerned by things that I just cannot control.

    As you point out, family and friends are so important and prioritising our time better to spend more time with them is one of the key things ITP has given me.

    Anyway, I really enjoyed reading your story.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. Your story explains exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anthony and Anonymous,
    Celi expressed the feeling that many of us share. ITP does make us think about our priorities and appreciate all the blessings we have.

    ReplyDelete